and listen to other episodes. #1 in iTunes for Alternative Health!
My guest today on “Healthy Births, Happy Babies” is Dr. Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, health psychologist, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and author who specializes in women’s-health research including breastfeeding, depression, trauma, and other health psychology issues.
In this episode, we will cover:
- why the commonly sited figure of “10-15% of women suffer from post-partum depression” is dangerously low and what the current research shows
- how to use her free self-screening tool to see if you should seek help for post-partum depression (link to the screening tool is in the Resources section)
- 5 natural alternatives to prescription medications to successfully treat post-partum depression
Resources mentioned in the conversation:
- Kathy’s website: www.KathleenKendall-Tackett.com
- her book Depression in New Mothers, 3rd Ed in Amazon.com
- Kathy’s free Post-Partum Screening Tool
- her publishing house with other natural birth related books: www.PraeclarusPress.com
About Dr. Kathleen Kendall-Tackett:
Dr. Kendall-Tackett is a health psychologist and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, and the Owner and Editor-in-Chief of Praeclarus Press, a small press specializing in women’s health.
Dr. Kendall-Tackett is Editor-in-Chief of two peer-reviewed journals: Clinical Lactation and Psychological Trauma.
She is Fellow of the American Psychological Association in Health and Trauma Psychology, Past President of the APA Division of Trauma Psychology, and a member of the Board for the Advancement of Psychology in the Public Interest.
Dr. Kendall-Tackett specializes in women’s-health research including breastfeeding, depression, trauma, and health psychology, and has won many awards for her work including the 2016 Outstanding Service to the Field of Trauma Psychology from the American Psychological Association’s Division 56.
Dr. Kendall-Tackett has authored more than 400 articles and her most recent books include: Depression in New Mothers, 3rd Edition (2016), Women’s Mental Health Across the Lifespan (2016 with Lesia Ruglass), Psychology of Trauma 101 (2015 with Lesia Ruglass) and The Science of Mother-Infant Sleep (2014 with Wendy Middlemiss).